Immediate Management of Anaphylaxis
An anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening, severe allergic reaction to an allergen such as food substances or insect stings. If anaphylaxis is not treated promptly and effectively it can quickly cause death. This course is designed for qualified first aiders and emergency first aiders to give them more specific training in recognising anaphylaxis and effective treatment safely.
When administering medications it is important to recognise and differentiate between allergic reactions and life-threatening, severe, anaphylactic reactions promptly. This course will provide the learner with the knowledge, skills and understanding to treat and manage anaphylaxis.
It is suitable for first aiders and health care professionals, as well as high-risk environments where anaphylaxis may be possible and medication is available.
What will you cover?
- Triggers for anaphylaxis
- Life threatening problems with ABCDE
- Early call for help
- Treatment for anaphylaxis
- Key features of adrenaline-auto injectors
- Iinitial assessment using the ABCDE approach
- Recovery position
- Resuscitation for adult and/or child (CPR)
- Recognising when to use an auto-injector
- Preparing medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment
- Safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector
- Sharps disposal
- Handing the casualty to a medical professional
Assessment & Certificate
The assessment takes place continually over the course and determines your knowledge, skills and understanding of managing anaphylaxis. A range of assessment methods are used including; practical and an end of course question paper (open and multiple-choice questions). The qualification itself is valid for three years from the date of assessment.
In order to renew this qualification learners will need to re-take the initial course. It is recommended that learners should attend annual refresher training to ensure your skills and knowledge are kept up to date.